Laghouat
Hello dear user, we will be honored to have you joining our community, so would you please register.We look forward to providing you with every thing you need to grow up your knowledge,Students in any section may use this forum to post questions about assignments, ask for advice or information, and to discuss general content related issues,We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you are not yet.....A special thanks, Admin.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Laghouat
Hello dear user, we will be honored to have you joining our community, so would you please register.We look forward to providing you with every thing you need to grow up your knowledge,Students in any section may use this forum to post questions about assignments, ask for advice or information, and to discuss general content related issues,We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you are not yet.....A special thanks, Admin.
Laghouat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took)

3 posters

Go down

The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took) Empty The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took)

Post by the bright queen Sat Mar 19 2011, 11:19

1)- Definition:
widespread replacement of manual labor by machines that began in Britain in the 18th century and still continuing in spme parts of the world. The I R was the result of many fundamental, interrelated changes that changed agricultural economies into industrial ones

2)-Why did it start in Britain:
The I R began in Great Britain because social, political, and legal conditions there were particularly favorable to change. Property rights, such as those for patents on mechanical improvements were well established. More importantly, the predictable, stable rule of law in Britain meant that monarchs and aristocrats were less likely to arbitrarily earnings or impose taxes than they were in many other countries.
As a result, earnings were safer and ambitious business people could gain wealth, social prestige and more easily than could people on the European Continent.
These factors encouraged risk taking and investment in new business ventures, both crucial to economic growth.
Iron and steel manufacture, the production of steam engines and textiles were all powerful influences, as was the rise of a machine-building sector able to spread mechanization to other parts of the Economy.

3)-Causes of the Industrial Revolution:

a-Economic causes:

Developed trade:
industrial investment( global trade created an awareness that markets providing cheaper machines, produced many factured goods: increasing domestic earnings )
The discovery of the New World ( served as markets and sources of raw materials )
The Enclosure System: sending farmers away from their lands and towns were the only place that could shelter them. So, this led to the growth of traders and merchant class

b-Political causes:
The Magna Carta
The Glorious Revolution
The civil war
The Bill of Rights: chalenging the monarch's power
Governments' seeking economic gain to improve their diplomatic and military standing by: encouragment of building roads, canals and rail roads.
: abolishment or limitation of craft guilds that sought to protect traditional labor methods.

c-Social and Cultural causes:
Exodus from rural lands to towns ( in search for employment ) and the rise of towns.
The increase of population.
People's personality( the ability to change through hard work ).
The enlightenment: the belief in science and esteem for hard work as material success that motivated inventors and manufacturers.

4)-Changes of the Industrial Revolution:
a- Changes in agriculture:
The invention of machinery played a big part in driving forward the I R .
Freeing up labour from the land to work in the new industrial mills of the 18th century.
The increase of food while cultivating the same amount of lands using new machinery of few workers.

b-Changes in Industry:
The change from household economy to industrial economy.
Workshop of the world( industrial ).
Self-sufficiency.
Bringing raw materials from the colonies and sending them back to the markets: getting a wealthier and healthier economy.

c- Political changes:
Only men with money and property rights could vote
No women could vote regardless of their wealth
The House of Lords could overrule any law passed by the House of Commons
Only men could be in the Houses of Commons and Lords

The Reform Act 1832:

It gave the right for the middle class to vote: those who had properties.
It gave the right for women to vote
However, Queen Victoria was conservative and therefor, refused it and said that women should stay at home.

Chartism:
It came from the word Charter and was a document of 6 demands
It is the reaction to the Reform Act which evicted the working class
The chartists were the first mass working class that came after the Reform Act, they revolted against the right of the middle class ( who had money and properties ) to vote and wanted represetatives in Parliament

Their demands:
1-The right to vote for every man
2-No property qualification to vote
3-Payment of members of Parliament
4- Same seats for same members
5-Annual Parliament; to meet each year to discuss

However, it failed and didn't last long( 8 or 9 years ) because it was devided: 2 leaders

The 2nd Reform Act 1867:
All male workers could vote

1884:
Increased the number of the working class that could vote but only men

The interval between the periods knew struggles between people of the middle class to better and improve their living conditions via negociations, strikes ....
Most of the people of the middle class were illeterate because education was poor and devoted for rich people( the aristocracy). However, there were some grammar schools where children under the age of 11 could attend. So, they brought people from other social classes who were educated and skilled in order to improve their conditions. They ended having trade unions which created the labour Party.
the bright queen
the bright queen

Back to top Go down

The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took) Empty Re: The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took)

Post by The Catalyst Sat Mar 19 2011, 23:59

Thank you Queen, that is really useful, thank you very much for your great efforts !!
The Catalyst
The Catalyst

Back to top Go down

The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took) Empty Re: The Industrial Revolution... (some notes I took)

Post by Steady Teddy Wed Mar 23 2011, 10:14

I love these notes, thank you Bright Queen, they are helpful, really helpful !!
Steady Teddy
Steady Teddy

Back to top Go down

Post by the bright queen Wed Mar 23 2011, 10:50

You are more than welcome ^^ If you have any information don't hesitate to post them in the forum ^^ Embarassed Embarassed
the bright queen
the bright queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Teddy Wed Mar 23 2011, 10:53

Sure, will do, and that's a lot of chocolate, you could hurt your teeth, just kidding lol !!
Steady Teddy
Steady Teddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum